Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Driving While Intexticated

I usually don't write opinion posts on my blog, but I've been hearing a lot about Driving While Intexticated on TV lately. I think the State of Oklahoma or one of the news channels is doing an ad campaign to bring attention to the danger of driving while reading or sending text messages.

They say it is as dangerous as drunk driving. The TV commercials suggest that reading or sending text messages while driving should be against the law. I understand that several other states have similar laws.

While I readily admit and agree that driving while texting is dangerous; however, I think that is a symptom of a much bigger problem.

I think the real problem is inattention while driving. Driving while intexticated is certainly one way to be inattentive. But what about putting on makeup? Smacking your kids in the backseat? Talking while driving? Looking at another passenger?

If any one of those things should be illegal, I think they should all be illegal. All of those cause your attention to be focused on something besides your car, the road, and other drivers around you.

Just to be clear, I think texting while driving is dangerous. I don't think anyone should be attempting to do this. But I don't know if making a law against it will solve the real problem.

So what do you think? Do you think texting while driving should be illegal? Do you think it will solve the problem?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...