Saturday, February 21, 2009

Gymnastics and Nadia Comaneci

This morning, we went to gymnastics. We have figured out that we have to get to class early so that we can get a seat on the sofas. If we're late, we have to sit over on the bleachers and that's no fun. So we were rushing around this morning (as usual). We got there just in time to get the last seat on the sofas.


So we're sitting there about 30 minutes into the class and a white van pulled up and a bunch of people got out carrying bags and came inside. It was a bunch of girls and several old people. Most of them disappear down a hallway and a few minutes later, one older gentleman comes back in and tells all of us (preschool parents who are sitting around waiting) that there are some international gymnasts from Romania, Russia, Kazakhstan and Isreal practicing in the gym this morning. So we all kinda watch them trot around and stretch and whatnot. I looked online when I got home and found out that they were in town for the Nadia Comaneci International Invitational.



And a few minutes later, Nadia Comaneci walks through (wearing a pink sweatsuit, if you must know) with a couple other ladies. While I was not exactly surprised to see her there since she's married to the owner of the gym (Bart Conner), I was a little surprised to see her there since she's a former international gymnastics champion. She's taller than I thought she would be. Most gymnasts are so tiny.


So I immediately start texting my sister, Heather, about seeing Nadia Comaneci at gymnastics! Heather has always liked gymnastics and so she's the first person I thought of when all the international gymnasts started showing up. I wish Heather was there with us to see it. She has yet to visit Bart Commer Gym to see Emily, but I'm sure she will soon. (By the way, that's an open invitation, Heather!)


I got my camera out in case I was able to get some pics of the international gymnasts or Nadia Comaneci without being too obvious. But while I was waiting, I went ahead and got some action shots of Emily doing some jumps and rolls. (Sad that taking pictures of my own child was an afterthought, but I do try to be honest on this blog.)





I've also been trying to upload a video, but I can't get it to load. If I can't get it this weekend, I'll upload it on Monday so be looking for it!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

She looks like she is really enjoying herself. Pretty neat to see Nadia... I have always enjoyed watching gymnastics on TV.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...