Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Self-Inflicted Earache

The other week, I bought an earwax removal kit. (If ears or wax or anything related to either topic grosses you out, feel free to stop reading here.)



I wasn't really having an problem, but I always have quite a bit of ear wax. And besides that, we have recently figured out that we're going to end up with quite a bit of money left in our flexible spending account when the plan year ends in June. So I noticed an earwax removal kit was on the FSA-eligible list and I went out and bought one.




That very night, I decided to try out that earwax removal kit. I read the directions carefully ...




  • Tilt head sideways and place 5 to 10 drops into ear. Fine, no big deal. Mom did this to me quite a few times as a kid so it's nothing new.



  • Keep drops in ear for several minutes by keeping head tilted or placing cotton in the ear. Okay, tilting ... feels weird and kinda cloggy but I can handle this.


I do this on the first ear and then waaaait for several minutes ... then I hold a piece of tissue over my ear and let it drain as I do the same to the other ear. I waaaait again and then drain the second ear. That wasn't so bad ... a little oily feeling, but no big deal.

I go to bed about an hour after this, but wake up a few hours later with a really bad earache in one ear. I turn over to the other side, hoping that will ease the pain. No such luck. I spend the rest of the time tossing and turning from side to side, trying to find a comfortable position.

When I woke up the next morning, I still had the earache. It was mostly better by the end of the day, but then I followed the rest of the directions ...


  • Use twice daily for up to 4 days if needed... Sheesh!

I just hope this works because I don't want to have to do the final direction ...


  • Any wax remaining after the 4-day treatment may be removed by gently flushing the ear with warm (body temperature-water, using a soft bulb syringe. Gulp!

So .. does it work? I guess we'll see in 2 more days.

Here's to hoping I don't wake up with another self-inflicted earache tonight.

1 comment:

Missew said...

Brave woman! I would have woke up with the ear ache and like a big baby stopped using that stuff. I would have deemed it a hazard and avoided it at all costs. I sure hope it works, ear ache pain is the worst!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...