Sunday, January 20, 2013

Bell's Palsy and the Flu Shot

Exactly a week before I came down with Bell's Palsy, we all got a flu shot.  I normally don't get a flu shot.  We normally take the kids to their pediatrician to get the flu shot, but this year we took them to a different clinic that treats both adults and kids.  My excuse that they only give flu shots to a kid was not going to work!  Gah!

So we got the flu shot on a Saturday.  And by Tuesday or Wednesday, I didn't feel good.  I had that sore throat and ear ache only on one side.  It was the strangest thing that it only hurt on one side.  It hurt BAD.  I don't normally go to the doctor for something like a little sore throat, but by the next Saturday I was back at the clinic looking for some relief.

I was diagnosed with sinusitis and got some antibiotics (amoxcillin) and went home and took some immediately.  Then by the end of the day, I was already showing signs of Bell's Palsy (numb tongue, muscle weakness) even though I didn't recognize it as that.

I think getting the flu vaccine played a part in me developing Bell's Palsy.  I don't think a person can get the flu from getting a flu shot, but it seems like I always get sick after I get the flu vaccine.  That's one of the reasons I don't normally get a flu shot. I will definitely think twice before getting a flu shot in the future.

Do you think the flu shot can play a role in a person developing Bell's Palsy?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...